Why I Can’t Stand Ron Paul

Ron PaulI can’t stand Ron Paul. Why? I should have some sort of warm sentiment towards him, right? He is, after all, an anti-war conservative riding against the tide of brainless militarism that still rules the GOP, right? But like almost everything else with Paul, it is wrapped up in the type of brain-dead simpleton talk that renders it effectively useless.

Besides bring back some pork for his district like any other congressman, what the hell has Paul actually done in his tenure in the House? He hasn’t seriously affected the mainstream thinking of the GOP and his Simple Simon view of the federal government’s role in America isn’t ever happening.

Thank God. (The invisible hand of the market was never going to desegregate the Jim Crow south)

As much as people despise the sort of dippy-hippie views espoused by some people on the left, they are often equaled by the late night dorm room bong hit logic of the libertarian movement. Only they’ve been even less effective politically. The hippies at least had some effect on public sentiment on the Vietnam War and even nominated a “peace” candidate within one of the two major parties (he went down in flames to one of the worst presidents ever, but still).

By comparison, Ron Paul couldn’t win a single real contest in the 2012 Republican nomination process. This is a nominating contest where tired retreads like Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum actually won states!

Newt. Gingrich.

What’s the point of Ron Paul then? He has cultists online who don’t actually show up to vote for him and he doesn’t seriously influence the debate within his party like past, fringe candidates have.

What’s the point?

At the Republican Convention, there’s this idea going around that Paul and his supporters are going to cause a ruckus. Not going to happen. The parties have both become experts at stage managing their national conventions. This isn’t the smoke-filled room of yore or the chaos of 1968. Do people really think that Reince Priebus is dumb enough to let Paul’s trickling of supporters disrupt the coronation of Mitt Romney as the party’s nominee?

Give me a break.

  • The Dark Avenger

    Not a very imaginative troll, is it?

  • burnavenger

    Thady pants is an oy hating neo nazi

  • burnavenger

    Thad is a gummy bear. Soft and fruity. U want my fruit cup?? Fruity tits

  • merl

    the point is to separate fools from their money. he’s just a grifter, a small time one compared to Palin, but still a grifter.

  • Buzz Killington

    Still waiting for moderation? Fail.

  • thad

    (Also: calling Poe’s Law on burnavenger. Is that dude for real, or is he a joke poster I just don’t get?)

  • thad

    I would say Paul has CERTAINLY affected the discourse — not among the Presidential candidates, but among the party as a whole. The entire Tea Party movement is made up of people making simplistic “government bad, taxes bad” arguments and refusing to compromise.

    Howard Dean didn’t win any states either, but there’s a straight line between his 2004 failure and the Democratic Party’s successes in 2006 and 2008.

    Paul’s never going to have a remote shot at being President. But his views now represent a loud and, unfortunately, powerful segment of the House.

  • burnavenger

    Dark avenger hoe dare u say oy!! U oy sucking oymonger

  • The Dark Avenger

    Hoy coyuld you toyll thoy doyffiereince, oyman?

  • burnavenger

    Oyyy this humidity is boiling my ass neck

  • burnavenger

    Db is a sizzle chest jew hating obama sucking unempmoyed loser

  • burnavenger

    Ron paul is a god damn playground legend where i come from oyyy my soup is too humid oyyy

  • Buzz Killington

    Paul has many flaws for sure, but being the only option for anyone that doesn’t want the US to become a police state makes up for a lot.

  • burnavenger

    Hey dB,

    Where are all your oystain liberal oyholes friends? Ron Paul is an legend and you are an oy loving oyholes so fu

    Oy

  • db

    I’ve said before that libertarianism is like Nietzscheian Philosophy. It sounds good at first. The you ask, “What if there’s another one?” One wonders if the Paulists know “Hobbs” as anything beyond a stuffed tiger.

    • burnavenger

      Db, you like it with toes just like your boyfriend sir john hall? You 2 oyholes need to get a life. Scwimmin in my shorts. Oy its so humid