The Media Narrative On Obama 2012 Is BS, Here’s Why

Over the last 10 years, I’ve learned that the media narrative rarely has any relation to reality. In 2002-3, the media marched along with the Bush administration’s flimsy case for war in Iraq. In 2004, they echoed his message that he was a competent commander-in-chief despite the death toll in Iraq and the refusal to modify the failed strategy there.

In 2007-8 we were told that Hillary Clinton’s nomination was inevitable, and after Obama was elected the media kept telling us health care reform was dead as it moved through congress to become a law.

Now in 2012, there have been three early media narratives about President Obama’s re-election campaign that have already been proven wrong.

Narrative: The Obama campaign is going to be negative.

Reality: While the Obama campaign is, of course, going to make very clear definitions about the choice between Obama and Romney, the first major ad buy by the Obama campaign is this effort.

This is a decidedly positive ad, compared by some to Reagan’s “Morning In America” campaign. You could say the same for the overall theme of The Road We’ve Traveled, the Obama campaign’s mini-documentary. Both the ad and the film go along similar narratives: Obama inherited a crisis, and though there remains considerable ground to cover, he and his allies have made positive reforms for the country. This is not a “negative” message at all.

Narrative: Obama is trying to distract from the economy.

Reality: At every turn, the Obama campaign has made a contrast of his record on jobs to the jobs disaster he inherited. The so-called “bikini graph” has been a part of the re-election campaign’s arsenal. It communicates a complicated topic in a simple fashion: red down, blue up, up good.

The first state-targeted ads from Obama also explicitly reference his record on the economy. All three ads reference economic issues, from the jobs picture to the auto industry rescue. This is a very bad way of not addressing the economy, isn’t it?

Narrative: Obama won’t address Obamacare.

Reality: The campaign just released this video of nurses touting the Affordable Care Act, while other videos released by the campaign highlight the stories of people benefiting from its provisions. If Obama was avoiding Obamacare, wouldn’t it be easier to just said “I ordered Bin Laden killed” rather than go into the weeds about what effects the reform law he passed had?

The media likes to make everything into a storyline, often without concern for reality. That is no different in their coverage of something as important as a presidential campaign. The problem is the narrative is often false.

Enhanced by Zemanta
  • Justanotherrighty

    Narrative: The Obama campaign is going to be negative.
    Narrative: Obama is trying to distract from the economy.

    Ahem !

  • Justanotherrighty

    Just checking to see if I could post either way (WordPress or Facebook)…

  • The Dark Avenger

    One afternoon, a woman and her little daughter went into a large toy store. The mother asked her daughter what toys she wanted.

    The little girl said, “I want GI Joe and Barbie.”

    The mother smiled and said, “Darling, you know Barbie doesn’t come with GI Joe.”

    The little girl looked up at her mom and replied, “Mom, Barbie ALWAYS comes with GI Joe. She just FAKES it with Ken.”

  • burnavenger

    Db and dark avrnger play with kens not barbirs

  • burnavenger

    Oyuy light weight babyyyyyy

  • burnavenger

    Okc!!!!!! Oy my titty nipples

  • burnavenger

    Hips and shoulders……..triple extension. Man shit oy

  • burnavenger

    How good is tony oarker oyyy ny rondo is dripping green

  • burnavenger

    Anybody here smell cheese

  • burnavenger

    America hatrs ppl who think for them selves. Were also good at droppin bombs…..oy this heat is so humid

  • burnavenger

    Oy this guy is shakin up all the beers

  • burnavenger

    Post activation potentiation os man shit. Dont b fooled oyyyy

  • burnavenger

    Rule 1. Bicep curls are for gay marriage only
    rule 2. If u cant front squat u aint shit
    rule 3. Frank is god
    rule 4. No juice boxes!!!!!
    Rule 5. Expensive car equals small pecker
    rule 6. Oyy
    Rule 7. Hav no fear of perfection, u will never reach it.
    rule 8. Cock
    Rule 9. Firends with a.c. oy its humid
    rule 10. Jose and biggie giv handys
    rule 11. Jose is a pharmacy

  • burnavenger

    Lay the lumber on u leberal freeloader dickholes

  • burnavenger

    Lets play a game. Lets state our job title and how long we have had that career………oh wait thats right. U oyhole kosers dont have jobs which is y u probly love Obama dollars

  • burnavenger

    oy its so humid baby

  • burnavenger

    Gallup: National Mood a Drag on Obama’s Re-Election Prospects
    U.S. satisfaction and economic ratings low compared with years incumbents won

    Confirmed: Americans are in a bad mood because of the BS media narrative.

    Oy

  • burnavenger

    db, douche bag and ol the froth my oystick,

    go pound on a fat new chick’s titties you ouholes

  • Ol Froth

    Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s where I’ve heard “Oy’s” schtick before.

  • db

    Ol,

    “Oy” suggests that DA gets a job at 10:52. Between 11:46 & 11:52 he makes 10(?) separate posts. I never paid much attention but wasn’t that “Dave’s” MO?

    One wonders why OW lets him on.

  • burnavenger

    Oyyyyyy if i knew curse words in ukranian id curse u out

  • burnavenger

    Dark avenger show ur face oyyyyy warriors….come out and olayyyuyyu

  • burnavenger

    Db rides bologna ponies and is a part time ass pirate

  • burnavenger

    Dark avenger get a fuckin job u insignificant oyface.

  • burnavenger

    Oyy my ball bag looks like a piece of pink gum oyyy

  • burnavenger

    Db stands for douche bag. Ur new name should be DM for dick meat oyyyyy

  • burnavenger

    Dark avenger is clearly a comic book nerd who beats off to batman graphic novels. Oy the humidy

  • burnavenger

    Oy hey db have u ever seen sweat roll down the back of another mans ass???? U want to??? Oy

  • burnavenger

    Db touches boys. Dark avenger liles dark meat in his mouth oy

  • burnavenger

    Oyyyyy spider 9 wide banana…oyyy

  • Ol Froth

    SOmehow, I think I’ve heard these insults before, just without the repetitive use of “oy.”

    • burnavenger

      Are you in the mood to oy oyholes? Do you do anything more than sit on oy blogs all day you oyholes. Saunas in my pants

  • burnavenger

    Oy its like a damn sauna in my pants. Anyone want my oystick

  • db

    Oy, (or whatever name you choose this week)

    Do you have a purpose?
    Is there some deep meaning to your random posts that escapes me?
    Are you really as anti-Semitic as you appear?
    Does your Mother know you use such foul language? Didn’t she raise you better?

    • burnavenger

      Oy its like a giant pickle in my kashen bowtie you oystain idiot. Oy is like a giant pebble in your sauna on the precipice of your oynipple. Take your anti oy rhetoric and stick it up your as5 and rotate.

      Oy

  • burnavenger

    oy its so damn humid in here, its like a sauna in my pants

  • burnavenger

    hey dark oy and db oy,

    how about the 2 of you bozos go oy yourself to the oymarket and buy me some kifiltafish and kashen bowties you oy bastards.

    oy you and your oysticks.

    oy

  • db

    DA,

    burnavenger certainly seem to have imitated your “handle”. He’ also oyitshumid? Is he also ‘Burn”?

    On topic: Controlling the “media story” is a key goal. Look what it did in 2000.

    • burnavenger

      Db, do you like oy in you’re cereal or just oy in your cabbage oy oy and how about a little marvelous and Marta you new hating new bag

      Oy

  • The Dark Avenger

    If there was ever an opportunity for Frank to make good his boast that he could come to a thread and not insult anyone whilst taking exception to the topic at hand, it would be now or never, IMHO.

    And we are graced with the presence again of William B Fuckly, Jr.

    Thanks for playing, WBF, Jr.

    • burnavenger

      Oy dark I stole your shirt name you piece of oyshit. Go fuk yourself oystain

      Oy

  • burnavenger

    Oy where are the liberal flap jack obummer loving oyholes? I miss Jaim and all the other oyfukks

  • burnavenger

    Oy, where are all the liberal gay marriage and obummer lovers oy

  • Ol Froth

    I’d prefer that comments be here, as it maintains our community. On the FB page, I’ve already been mistaken for Jay Tea, because I go by Jay Tee there. That said, the comments will probably get more action, and more varied commentary on FB, but then again, not everyone wants to be assimilated into the Borg.

    • burnavenger

      Ol you prefer teqbagging burn and dark avenger, oy?

  • Bruce Henry

    Comments should be either on facebook or wordpress, but not both.

    • burnavenger

      What are you talking about? Brucey

  • burnavenger

    Hey anyone see Frank Disalle?