'Sugar Daddy' Dating Site Hits UK

An American website that pairs rich older men with attractive young ladies is now hitting the UK. From the Telegraph:

The website, which boasts ten women for every so-called “sugar daddy”, already has a million members in the United States and claims to already have an MP among its British fans.

Claiming to offer an opportunity for young women to lead a glamorous life, the American site already assists 80,000 British candidates find a suitable match.

It is now launching an official UK site, despite criticisms it could be perceived as exploiting impoverished women and lonely men.

The site, www.seekingarrangment.com, is currently frequented largely by male business executives with an average income of £170,000 a year, who portray themselves as “sugar daddies”.

After posting a picture of themselves and a profile, they are joined by a selection of women who are, on average, 13 years younger.

This is basically legalized prostitution - men looking for attractive women who are only interested in their money. The article continues:

Brandon Wade, founder, has dismissed criticism that the nature of the site could be interpreted as a form of prostitution, saying “sugar babies” are “intelligent and goal-oriented ladies, while sugar daddies are respectful gentlemen.”

In response to negative media coverage, he wrote on his website: “Because the relationship between a sugar daddy and a sugar baby is romantic in nature, most sugar relationships will likely involve “sex”.

“A survey we conducted shows that approximately 80% of all sugar relationships result in “sex”.

I personally don't see anything wrong with the site,  (and I don't think prostitution should be illegal) but the fact that it is socially acceptable is a very sad indicator of just how shallow some people's lives are in our culture. This type of formalized financial/sexual transaction is incredibly demeaning for both parties and I can't imagine anything sadder than a relationship born out of a website like this.

Enhanced by Zemanta