Newt Finally Says Goodbye

newt-gingrich-drops-out-of-2012-race-supports-romney

Newt Gingrich finally ended his Republican presidential candidacy Wednesday, unbowed and with a backhanded endorsement of the party's presumptive nominee.

Flanked by members of his family at a suburban Virginia hotel, the former House speaker said he would work to elect Republicans at all levels this fall.

"As to the presidency, I'm asked sometimes, 'Is Mitt Romney conservative enough?' And my answer is simple: 'Compared to Barack Obama?' You know, this is not a choice between Mitt Romney and Ronald Reagan. This is a choice between Mitt Romney and the most radical, leftist president in American history," he said.

Technically, Gingrich "suspended" his candidacy, allowing him to turn his attention to retiring a campaign debt of more than $3 million. The announcement wasn't news, since he had said last month that he would be doing so, after running out of excuses to keep going. His second and last primary victory was almost two months ago, in his former home state of Georgia.

Gingrich choked up once, briefly, at the outset, when he recalled a familiar line about his grandchildren, Maggie and Robert, being his best debate coaches. The youngsters stood alongside him on a small stage before several dozen supporters and aides.

The 68-year-old former Georgia congressman called his campaign "a truly wild ride," adding, "I could never have predicted either the low points or the high points."

Read more at the LA Times...

Enhanced by Zemanta