Mitt Romney Aims to Gut Public Education

Screen shot 2012-05-24 at 1.24.47 AM
Mitt Romney in 2007 in Washington, DC at the V...

Mitt Romney proposed a series of steps to overhaul the public education system, reigniting the debate over school choice as his campaign intensifies its effort to introduce the presumptive Republican presidential nominee to a general-election audience.

The education plan, detailed in a speech today in Washington, would create a voucher-like system to give low- income and disabled students federal funds to attend charter schools, private institutions and public schools outside their district.

“I don’t like the direction of American education, and as president, I will do everything in my power to get education on track for the kids of this great land,” Romney told a gathering of Latino business owners at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

The remarks, part of an effort to create the foundation for outlining contrasts with President Barack Obama through weekly policy speeches, were overshadowed by continued questions about Romney’s record as founder and head of the Boston-based private equity firm Bain Capital LLC.

The former Massachusetts governor has struggled to find a consistent line of defense against attacks from Democrats, including Obama, who’ve used investments of the Boston-based firm to depict Romney as more interested in maximizing profits for wealthy investors than saving jobs.

Read more at the Washington Post...

Enhanced by Zemanta