Secret Service Employees Removed in Prostitution Case
Two Secret Service employees suspected of consorting with prostitutes while preparing for President Barack Obama’s arrival at a Latin American summit in Colombia left the agency and a third is in the process of being dismissed, according to a U.S. statement.
Eight other employees who are also under investigation for involvement with prostitutes before the summit in Cartagena remain on administrative leave and have had their security clearances suspended, Paul Morrissey, an assistant director of the agency, said in the statement.
“The Secret Service continues to conduct a full, thorough and fair investigation, utilizing all investigative techniques available to our agency,” Morrissey said. “This includes polygraph examinations, interviews with the employees involved and witness interviews.”
The departures are the first resulting from a controversy that emerged as the Summit of the Americas was beginning last week. Obama’s agenda at the summit on the economy, trade and engagement in Latin America, which concluded April 15, was overshadowed by the allegations of misconduct by Secret Service agents and military support personnel. The agents were relieved of duty and sent back to the U.S. before Obama arrived.
One supervisory employee was allowed to retire and another has been “proposed for removal for cause,” which requires a 30-day notice and opportunity to respond, Morrissey said. A non- supervisory employee resigned.