Obama Launches Assault on Romney

President Barack Obama's administration launched a multipronged assault on Mitt Romney's values and foreign policy credentials Sunday, while a fresh set of prominent Republicans rallied behind the GOP front-runner as the odds-on nominee, further signs the general election is overtaking the primary season.

A defiant Rick Santorum outlined plans to leave Wisconsin the day before the state's contest Tuesday, an indication that the conservative favorite may see his chances dwindling.

"I think the chances are overwhelming that (Romney) will be our nominee," Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union."

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and Vice President Joe Biden went after Romney on Sunday, underscoring the thinking inside Obama's Chicago re-election headquarters that Romney will -- sooner or later -- secure the right to face the president this fall. Their involvement comes as both sides sharpen their general election strategy, perhaps weeks before the GOP contest formally ends.

"I think Gov. Romney's a little out of touch," Biden told CBS's "Face the Nation" in an interview broadcast Sunday. "I can't remember a presidential candidate in the recent past who seems not to understand, by what he says, what ordinary middle-class people are thinking about and are concerned about."

The line of attack is likely to play prominently in the Obama campaign's general election narrative. While Obama is a millionaire, Romney would be among the wealthiest presidents ever elected.

Read more at DetroitFreePress

Enhanced by Zemanta