Newt Gingrich Expected to Stand Down, Endorse Romney

speaking at CPAC in Washington D.C. on Februar...

Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich is expected to suspend his campaign next week and endorse Mitt Romney, his spokesman has said. Mr Gingrich now says he expects Mr Romney, who won five primaries on Tuesday, to be the Republican nominee.

The campaigns are said to be working out an orderly endorsement, with Mr Romney keen on Mr Gingrich's support. He has won only two primaries - South Carolina and Georgia - since the election season began in January. The Gingrich campaign had indicated it would reassess its future if he did not win the contest in Delaware. Mr Gingrich will reportedly hold his last campaign event on 1 May in Washington DC.

During a campaign stop in North Carolina on Wednesday, Mr Gingrich all but conceded.

"You have to at some point be honest about what's happening in the real world as opposed to what you would like to have happened," Mr Gingrich told supporters.

"I don't think we can lose by 30 points in Delaware and feel good about it”

He added that Mr Romney "had a very good day yesterday. You have to give him some credit."

The former House Speaker said he would continue to campaign for the next week as a "citizen", adding he would discuss economic issues, such as high unemployment.

"We are going to stay very, very active and we are working out the details of our transition," Mr Gingrich said. "But I am committed to this party. I am committed to defeating Obama."

Read more at the BBC...

Enhanced by Zemanta