Update: At Least 7 Shot Dead at Californian Christian School

Update: A reported seven people have been shot dead. Read more at the BBC.

A number of people have been killed and several injured in a shooting at a university in California, police say.

TV footage showed wounded people emerging from buildings at Oikos University in the city of Oakland.

Police and armed response teams have surrounded the buildings, and a suspect has been detained. A nearby hospital said it was treating four victims.

Oikos University is a private religious institution offering courses in theology, music and nursing.

US media are quoting law enforcement sources as saying five people are dead.

Meanwhile, what appeared to be four bodies were seen outside a university building covered with tarpaulin, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

Johnna Watson, of Oakland Police, said: “We know this to be a Korean college. A gunman came in to the college and fired multiple shots.

“We do have fatalities, I cannot confirm the number of fatalities we have at this time. We additionally have victims who have suffered from gunshot wounds.”

Ms Watson added that medical services as well as police were at the scene.

The Oakland Fire Department says it was first notified of the shooting at about 10:50 local time (18:50 GMT).

Video below:

Read more at the BBC..

Enhanced by Zemanta

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

More on the Banter:

Plus Size Model Can Try Redefining 'Beauty' But She Can't Redefine 'Healthy'

Plus Size Model Can Try Redefining 'Beauty' But She Can't Redefine 'Healthy'

The diversity of bodies shouldn't be encouraged if it's going to facilitate a diversity of physical Read more...
MEMBERS ONLY: The Real Reason Why Anti-Obamacare CEOs Are Allegedly Cutting Employee Hours

MEMBERS ONLY: The Real Reason Why Anti-Obamacare CEOs Are Allegedly Cutting Employee Hours

If this theory is accurate, it's difficult to point to another chapter in history when major billionRead more...
Now We Can See How Homophobic, Racist and Misogynist "Friends" Really Was

Now We Can See How Homophobic, Racist and Misogynist "Friends" Really Was

When we revisit Friends on Netflix now that all ten seasons are available to stream -- looking at itRead more...
Ted Nugent Still Thinks Obama is a "Subhuman Mongrel"

Ted Nugent Still Thinks Obama is a "Subhuman Mongrel"

One year later, he not only stands by the insult, but said in an interview that it was "too delicateRead more...
Why Can't You Say 'Super Bowl' On TV?

Why Can't You Say 'Super Bowl' On TV?

Ever notice how some people on TV call the Super Bowl the "Big Game?" The popular understanding is Read more...