Romney Paid $17.14 Per Vote, Santorum $2.54

Mitt Romney presidential campaign, 2008

By Ben Cohen: Michael Scherer has a great article in Time Magazine on how much each of the Republican candidates spent vs. how many votes they have received in the primaries thus far. The breakdown:

How much has the entire Romney campaign spent per vote received? $17.14, which is a lot more than the $2.54 that Santorum spent, or the $9.05 that Gingrich has spent, and topped only by the $31.55 that Paul spent.

What do these numbers tell us? Both a lot and a little. We can say convincingly that Santorum has been overperforming, compared with the field, while Romney has been underperforming. If Romney were a corporation, it would hire a Bain consultant to come in and figure out how to reduce its cost per vote.

It is interesting that the two candidates most obsessed with the efficiencies of the market are essentially the least efficient when it comes to dollars spent vs. performance. Romney and Paul have failed the 'ideas' market and have been bailing themselves out in order to compete. Scherer suggests Romney hire a consultant to improve performance. I'll take it a step further - he should fire himself.

Enhanced by Zemanta