I Agree with Newt….

English: Former Congressman Newt Gingrich of G...

I hate to say this, but Gingrich's evisceration of John King last night on CNN was entirely justified. In response to a question about his treatment of his ex wife (he apparently asked her for an open relationship), Gingrich shot back with the following:

I think the destructive, vicious, negative nature of much of the news media makes it harder to govern this country, harder to attract decent people to run for public office. And I am appalled that you would begin a presidential debate on a topic like that.

Regardless of what one may think of Gingrich as a human being (and given his record of horrific personal behavior, it shouldn't be much), he should be judged on his political record and ability to lead. Bill Clinton had a deeply troubled personal life, but his abilities as a politician resonated with voters and his sins were largely forgiven – as they should have been.

I don't like Newt Gingrich as a person, or a politician, but no one should vote against him because he was unpleasant to his ex wife. Electing a President is about the job he or she will do, and it is a serious one. George W. Bush was by most accounts a faithful and loving husband, but one of the worst Presidents in history.

Let's judge Newt by his public record, not his personal one. That should be enough.

Enhanced by Zemanta

MEMBERS ONLY: Who Stole My City?

MEMBERS ONLY: Who Stole My City?

I grew up in Clapham, south London in the 1980's, and have clear memories of what the city felt likeRead more...
MSNBC Falls for Worst On-Air Prank Call Ever, Continuing Proud TV News Tradition

MSNBC Falls for Worst On-Air Prank Call Ever, Continuing Proud TV News Tradition

There's no semi-regular occurrence in television news that infuriates the hell out of me more than aRead more...
Did You Know ISIS is Getting Their Balls Beat Off In Tikrit?

Did You Know ISIS is Getting Their Balls Beat Off In Tikrit?

It might seem like Hillary Clinton's emails are the biggest story in the world right now, but prior Read more...