I Agree with Newt….

English: Former Congressman Newt Gingrich of G...

I hate to say this, but Gingrich's evisceration of John King last night on CNN was entirely justified. In response to a question about his treatment of his ex wife (he apparently asked her for an open relationship), Gingrich shot back with the following:

I think the destructive, vicious, negative nature of much of the news media makes it harder to govern this country, harder to attract decent people to run for public office. And I am appalled that you would begin a presidential debate on a topic like that.

Regardless of what one may think of Gingrich as a human being (and given his record of horrific personal behavior, it shouldn't be much), he should be judged on his political record and ability to lead. Bill Clinton had a deeply troubled personal life, but his abilities as a politician resonated with voters and his sins were largely forgiven – as they should have been.

I don't like Newt Gingrich as a person, or a politician, but no one should vote against him because he was unpleasant to his ex wife. Electing a President is about the job he or she will do, and it is a serious one. George W. Bush was by most accounts a faithful and loving husband, but one of the worst Presidents in history.

Let's judge Newt by his public record, not his personal one. That should be enough.

Enhanced by Zemanta