Do Not Eat McDonald Burgers

/cb.jpg

A rather disgusting story about a McDonald's cheeseburger that refuses to die:

Whenever Melanie Hesketh’s kids get a hankering for junk food, all she has to do is point to the kitchen counter.

That’s where she keeps an unwrapped cheeseburger that turns one on Thursday, and it looks pretty much the same as the day it came off a McDonald’s grill.

Mould, maggots, fungi, bacteria — all have avoided the tempting meal that sits in plain view.

“Obviously it makes me wonder why we choose to eat food like this when even bacteria won’t eat it,” said Ms. Hesketh.

The meat patty has shrunk a bit, but it still looks edible and, with a faint but lingering greasy, leathery odour, she said it “still smells slightly like a burger . . . it hasn’t changed much.”

The reason? Salt and preservatives:

A McDonald’s cheeseburger weighs in at 115 grams at the time of cooking, but delivers 200 calories and 750 milligrams of sodium.

Meat patty aside, Prince points to the perfectly preserved bun and the slice of cheese as areas of concern.

What’s described on McDonald’s “Food Facts” webpage as simply “regular bun” can actually contain 32 or more ingredients, including everything from polysorbate 20 and sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate to calcium propionate and diacetyl tartaric acid esters of mono and diglycerides, many of them long names to describe additives, preservatives and emulsifiers. The processed cheese slice has 15 ingredients.

Any food that doesn't start to mold after a couple of days of being in the open air should not be consumed by anyone. The fact that the nation munches its way through millions of these things every week should be seen as a serious health crisis. Personally, I think foods like this should be taxed far more heavily, or at least incentives given to restaurants to use fresh ingredients and less fat. Otherwise, we're headed for a disaster that will only get worse.