The End of Herman Cain

speaking at CPAC in Washington D.C. on Februar...

Andrew Sullivan on the farcical Presidential candidacy of Herman Cain that has finally come to an end:

He was also emblematic of contemporary conservatism's degeneracy into an extension of an entertainment franchise. Whatever else can be said of Cain, he sure was entertaining. That's how he makes a living, and, increasingly, it's how most national Republicans make a living. That's the Ailes effect - and one can sense how FNC now wants Gingrich, if only for the ratings, and endless drama. Palin was about ratings too, according to Ailes himself.

Nonetheless, Cain's character eventually came out: megalomaniacal, cocooned, a creature of that place where corporate lobbying meets politics, and your life is lived in hotel rooms, radio stations and convention centers.

Fittingly, Cain reference the Pokemon movie when announcing the suspension of his campaign due to mutiple sexual harassment allegations:

I believe these words came from the Pokemon movie... Life can be a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It’s never easy when there’s so much on the line. But you and I can make a difference. There’s a mission just for you and me. Just look inside and you will find just what you can do.

I guess you have to give it to him - Cain never tried to be anything other than himself - unfortunately, that self was an idiot, and way, way out of his depth. Ultimately, Cain was playing a game he could never win and no matter how delusional he was, the complexities of running a Presidential campaign were simply too much for his intellect to handle. Cain was fun to watch in the same way that watching a member of the Kardashian family getting married is fun - you know it's going to be a spectacle, but you also know it's going to end - and end badly. True to the formulaic reality show script, Cain's run at fame and glory has come crashing to an end. He has embarrassed himself and his family in a way only a narcissistic megalomaniac can - spectacularly and publicly.

Let's just hope there isn't a Season Two.

Enhanced by Zemanta