Quote of the Day: What it Means to Get Sick in America

A Brit reports on what it is like to get sick in America:

When I finally wobbled out of the shiny lobby of the Beth Israel, clutching a bag of drugs, follow-up advice and complimentary hospital toiletries, I understood what it really means to be without means in America. Those who are wealthy enough to afford decent healthcare have their needs met in relative luxury, while those who are poor live in fear of getting ill, worrying that one misadventure might leave you with yet more debts to pay off.

No amount of fresh towels and edible breakfasts can make up for the feeling that your health is less important than the capacity of your chequebook. Which is why children and pensioners are still standing in Manhattan's financial district with placards telling the world they cannot afford healthcare, as police patrol the perimeter. And why, when I got out of hospital, I went straight back down to Liberty Plaza to stand with them.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence Refuses to Answer "Religious Freedom" Anti-Gay Discrimination Question

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence Refuses to Answer "Religious Freedom" Anti-Gay Discrimination Question

If there's an upside to Gov. Mike Pence (R-IN) signing the pro-discrimination SB101 "Religious FreedRead more...
Bill Maher Defends Common Sense By Telling PC Liberals, 'Shut the F*ck Up'

Bill Maher Defends Common Sense By Telling PC Liberals, 'Shut the F*ck Up'

Few things are more enjoyable to listen to than Bill Maher going demolition derby on the Left's PC fRead more...
MEMBERS ONLY: The After Party Podcast! Millennials vs Gen-X, the Big Star Doc on Netflix, The Feels and Chez's New Music Countdown

MEMBERS ONLY: The After Party Podcast! Millennials vs Gen-X, the Big Star Doc on Netflix, The Feels and Chez's New Music Countdown

Download the MP3 75 minutes, 32MB Not Safe For Work! This week: Number 1 Album: Chez's New Read more...