Conservative Rationale for Backing Wall St Protests

Andrew Sullivan provides the conservative rationale for backing the 'Occupy Wall St' movement that looks like it is here to stay:

I've arrived at the conclusion these past few years that the kind of fantastic income and wealth inequalities in this country (and the trends that keep reinforcing them) are a threat to our political and social order. The massive concentration of wealth at the top is undermining some core assumptions about common citizenship, even within a free market economy, especially since much of the wealth seems acquired by accounting chicanery, crony capitalism and a K-Street fix. As such, conservatives should be worrying about inequality as much as liberals. So far, this is largely a peaceful, groovy, inchoate protest against the right target: the concentration of wealth in the financial sector and its immunity from any kind of social or political accountability for its role in the unending recession in people's incomes. I see nothing more culturally out there in these protests that were not in the Tea Party protests - from the other side. One man's nose-ringed hippie is another woman's costumed Tea Partier.

There is nothing conservative about the economic system most Americans live under. It is a debt based, consumer driven system with no thought for prudence or fiscal planning. To boot, the rich are protected by the nanny state while the rest live under a brutalist free black hole where those who lose die.

'Occupy Wall St' should be joined by anyone disturbed by monumental corruption and corporate malfeasance regardless of political labels.

Enhanced by Zemanta