Remembering 9/11

Image via Wikipedia

A New York City fireman calls for 10 more resc...

I vividly remember hearing about the twin towers going down in New York back on September 11th 2001. I was taking a driving lesson in London when my driving instructor received a phone call from a family member who told her about the horrific attack. We finished the driving session and I came back home to find my family glued to the television watching New York City on fire.

It was a surreal and sickening sight and one no one alive at that time will ever forget. The image of people jumping from thousands of feet to their certain death is permanently etched into my memory - a stark reminder of human cruelty and the pointlessness of violence.

The attacks were an evil monstrosity with no valid justification whatsoever. While American foreign policy is often abhorrent and immoral itself, the slaughtering of innocent civilians is never, ever justified. The thousands of people who lost their lives had nothing to do with the US government's policies in the Middle East, and anyone who argues otherwise is excusing pure criminality.

There is much to be said about the Bush administration's response to the attacks, but that is another story for another time. Today, we should remember the innocent civilians brutally murdered in the name of religious fanaticism.

Enhanced by Zemanta