Quote of the Day: The Middle Class is Dead

Middle Class MillionaireAnyone believe the dream any more?

Gawker's Hamilton Nolan on the rapidly disintegrating middle class in America:

We have become and will become ever more so a nation in which a vast economic underclass caters to a tiny upper class that possesses the lion's share of the wealth, which it gains to selling goods with built-in obsolescence to that underclass, which still believes, wrongly, that it can approximate the middle class lifestyle by falling into debt in order to purchase consumer goods which create the shared illusion of superficial prosperity.

The American economy is built on superficial prosperity. Literally everyone I know has a plasma screen TV, a nice car and the latest Iphone. But none of them have any savings, a house or a mortagage. Some will inherit money from rich parents, the rest will have to work the rest of their lives paying off credit cards and loans their salaries don't quite cover. Not exactly the American dream.

Enhanced by Zemanta

MEMBERS ONLY: Who Stole My City?

MEMBERS ONLY: Who Stole My City?

I grew up in Clapham, south London in the 1980's, and have clear memories of what the city felt likeRead more...
MSNBC Falls for Worst On-Air Prank Call Ever, Continuing Proud TV News Tradition

MSNBC Falls for Worst On-Air Prank Call Ever, Continuing Proud TV News Tradition

There's no semi-regular occurrence in television news that infuriates the hell out of me more than aRead more...
Did You Know ISIS is Getting Their Balls Beat Off In Tikrit?

Did You Know ISIS is Getting Their Balls Beat Off In Tikrit?

It might seem like Hillary Clinton's emails are the biggest story in the world right now, but prior Read more...