Quote of the Day: The Middle Class is Dead

Middle Class MillionaireAnyone believe the dream any more?

Gawker's Hamilton Nolan on the rapidly disintegrating middle class in America:

We have become and will become ever more so a nation in which a vast economic underclass caters to a tiny upper class that possesses the lion's share of the wealth, which it gains to selling goods with built-in obsolescence to that underclass, which still believes, wrongly, that it can approximate the middle class lifestyle by falling into debt in order to purchase consumer goods which create the shared illusion of superficial prosperity.

The American economy is built on superficial prosperity. Literally everyone I know has a plasma screen TV, a nice car and the latest Iphone. But none of them have any savings, a house or a mortagage. Some will inherit money from rich parents, the rest will have to work the rest of their lives paying off credit cards and loans their salaries don't quite cover. Not exactly the American dream.

Enhanced by Zemanta

MEMBERS ONLY: To Boldly Go Where WhiteHouse.gov Dares Not!

MEMBERS ONLY: To Boldly Go Where WhiteHouse.gov Dares Not!

Happy Monday, my faithful Banterduckens, and welcome to this week's Members Only visit to the White Read more...
Alabama Bill Would Allow Children To Possess Handguns Because That's a Great Idea

Alabama Bill Would Allow Children To Possess Handguns Because That's a Great Idea

Alabama might rank 49th in K-12 public education, but soon the kids in the state's school system couRead more...
Here's How Scientology Is Trying (and Failing) To Control the Damage Done by <em>Going Clear</em>

Here's How Scientology Is Trying (and Failing) To Control the Damage Done by Going Clear

If you watched Going Clear last night on HBO, you know how powerful it was. The Alex Gibney documentRead more...