Quote of the Day: Not Everyone is a Monster

Zadie Smith on the success of multiculturalism in New York and London:

It took generations; it passed through periods of unspeakable horror; sometimes people forgot, sometimes they forgave, and they did both these things imperfectly. Practical matters helped. General economic parity, difficult acts of good will on both sides, and a democratic country in which the apparently impossible has the freedom to happen. It is not a perfect relationship—there’s no such thing—and it took two thousand years to get this far. We forget: these things take time. “Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice,” said Martin Luther King, Jr., who presided over another meeting of supposedly irreconcilable peoples. Not everyone is a monster.

Growing up in London, I find it impossible to hate anyone because of their ethnicity or religion. My childhood friends were Muslim, Hindu, Christian, Jewish, Black, White, Asian, Mixed and everything in between. Except I never saw them that way – to me they were Nana, Tariq, Raj, Ryan, Sameer, Ari, Olufemi and David – my friends with their own distinct personalities, not ethnic or religious groups defined by somebody elses categorization.

Enhanced by Zemanta

More on the Banter:

Texas Republicans Want To Limit Cancer Screenings Because They Have Fetal Derangement Syndrome

Texas Republicans Want To Limit Cancer Screenings Because They Have Fetal Derangement Syndrome

Everything is bigger in Texas, including the Fetal Derangement Syndrome.Read more...
MEMBERS ONLY: Tony Robbins And The Bullsh*t Behind 'Self Help' America

MEMBERS ONLY: Tony Robbins And The Bullsh*t Behind 'Self Help' America

Of all the bullshitters in the industry, the most dangerous are the most seemingly genuine, and TonyRead more...
Obama Plays Dumb On Netanyahu Snub: What Snub?

Obama Plays Dumb On Netanyahu Snub: What Snub?

The White House says that President Obama won't meet with Bibi because he doesn't want to influence Read more...
Scientology Is Helpless Against HBO's New Documentary, Even If It Doesn't Think So

Scientology Is Helpless Against HBO's New Documentary, Even If It Doesn't Think So

Going Clear and the pop culture buzz surrounding it won't be undone by a bunch of clunky-sounding diRead more...
Did President Obama Just Smack Mitt Romney Right Out Of The 2016 Presidential Race?

Did President Obama Just Smack Mitt Romney Right Out Of The 2016 Presidential Race?

Less than 24 hours after President Obama's sick burn of Mitt Romney, the former GOP nominee has callRead more...