Quote of the Day: Not Everyone is a Monster

Zadie Smith on the success of multiculturalism in New York and London:

It took generations; it passed through periods of unspeakable horror; sometimes people forgot, sometimes they forgave, and they did both these things imperfectly. Practical matters helped. General economic parity, difficult acts of good will on both sides, and a democratic country in which the apparently impossible has the freedom to happen. It is not a perfect relationship—there’s no such thing—and it took two thousand years to get this far. We forget: these things take time. “Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice,” said Martin Luther King, Jr., who presided over another meeting of supposedly irreconcilable peoples. Not everyone is a monster.

Growing up in London, I find it impossible to hate anyone because of their ethnicity or religion. My childhood friends were Muslim, Hindu, Christian, Jewish, Black, White, Asian, Mixed and everything in between. Except I never saw them that way – to me they were Nana, Tariq, Raj, Ryan, Sameer, Ari, Olufemi and David – my friends with their own distinct personalities, not ethnic or religious groups defined by somebody elses categorization.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Here's Where You Can Shove Your Paleo Diet

Here's Where You Can Shove Your Paleo Diet

I do CrossFit. Wait, let me clarify that: I do CrossFit on and off, in between periods of barely beiRead more...
Bill O'Reilly Has a F*cked Up Murder-Obsessed Mind

Bill O'Reilly Has a F*cked Up Murder-Obsessed Mind

When it was revealed that Bill O'Reilly probably lied about killings he'd seen while reporting on thRead more...
Mall of America Terror Threat Still Can't Budge Gun Show Loophole

Mall of America Terror Threat Still Can't Budge Gun Show Loophole

Over the weekend, Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson mildly freaked a few people out by tellRead more...