Quote of the Day: Corporate Press Now a Game Show

TAMPA, FL - SEPTEMBER 12:  Republican presiden...

Bob Cesca brilliantly takes down the corporate press and its poisonous effect on the political system:

The cable news media has gone from simply cracking gaming and sports metaphors to actually becoming a game, with politicians as the contestants and a rotating guest panel of snickering propagandists and "analysts" as the judges. The only difference is that contestants on traditional game shows are held accountable when they answer incorrectly — they're penalized monetarily or eliminated from the game altogether. But our cable news game show hosts just move on to the next question, so, in this regard, Wink Martindale might be a tougher moderator than Wolf Blitzer.

I actually find all of the cable news media completely unwatchable now, including shows I generally agree with (Rachel Maddow, Keith Olbermann etc). I don't really care what any of them think, and I wish they'd use their gigantic salaries to help fund serious journalism instead of paying for penthouse apartments in NYC. The evolution from real reporting to opinion based news and the relentless quest for ratings has been overwhelming negative, and democracy has suffered immensely. Nobody knows what any of the candidates actually stand for because there aren't any journalists to hold them to account and commentators regurgitate the party line rather than present serious analysis. While people like Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O'Donnel do try to do indepth analysis, the relentless left wing tone of their shows detracts from the otherwise great points they are making. I agree with them on virtually everything, but I don't want to watch things I agree with all the time – I want to have my assumptions challenged.

As for the ridiculous debate shows the networks put on, I'd rather watch an hour of women's badminton. At least there's a clear winner rather than whoever Frank Luntz thinks had a nicer hair-do.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Reporter Ken Silverstein Confirms What Critics Have Said About 'The Intercept' From the Beginning

Reporter Ken Silverstein Confirms What Critics Have Said About 'The Intercept' From the Beginning

From the beginning, several of us here at The Daily Banter have questioned not only the editorial apRead more...
Somebody Should've Knocked Bill O'Reilly on His Ass Years Ago

Somebody Should've Knocked Bill O'Reilly on His Ass Years Ago

Quite a while back I was the producer on a show, the anchor of which was a powerhouse in the businesRead more...
MEMBERS ONLY: The Daily Banter NSFW Video Mail Bag: Racism and Geckos

MEMBERS ONLY: The Daily Banter NSFW Video Mail Bag: Racism and Geckos

On this week's edition of the NSFW Video Mail Bag, Ben, Chez and Bob discuss Brittney Cooper, the OsRead more...