The Universe According to Dick Cheney

Interview of the Vice President by Tim Russert...

In an interview with NBC's Matt Lauer on Tuesday, former Vice President Dick Cheney asserted that the war in Iraq had not negatively impacted the world's view of the United States. He said:

"I don't think that it damaged our reputation around the world....I just don't believe that. I think critics here at home would argue that."

Even if you agreed with the premise and execution of the war in Iraq, you would have to be insane or lying to state that it didn't massively damage the world's opinion of the US, and in turn, its reputation.

Outside of Dick Cheney's brain, the Iraq war is regarded as a colossal waste of human life, resources and time - a horrific strategic mistake and an egregious crime against the Iraqi people that has damaged the region almost beyond repair. Anyone with even a vague understanding of history (or reality for that matter) is aware that Iraq was a complete disaster, and even more aware that America became the most disliked country on the planet because of it. There were huge demonstrations around the world before the invasion, and polling showed huge discontent with America after it toppled Saddam. Perhaps Cheney didn't bother looking at the opinion polls, and perhaps he genuinely thinks Iraq was a great success.

But given his general disregard for the law and human life, it is most likely that he simply doesn't care.

Enhanced by Zemanta