End of the News of the World

James Murdoch Closes News of the World after P...

Breathtaking news from the UK. Via the Guardian:

News International announced on Thursday that it is closing the News of the World after this Sunday's edition, with no end in sight to the political and commercial fallout from the phone-hacking scandal after 72 hours of mounting crisis.

Sunday's edition of the paper will be the last, News International chairman James Murdoch told News of the World staff on Thursday afternoon.

Murdoch told employees at the 168-year-old title: "The News of the World is in the business of holding others to account. But it failed to when it came to itself".

Murdoch said in a statement: "Wrongdoers turned a good newsroom bad and this was not fully understood or adequately pursued."

I hate to say this, but credit to Rupert Murdoch here - journalists from his newspaper committed an unforgivable sin, and he is taking severe and dramatic action. It sends a brutal message that this type of behavior will never be tolerated, and indicates he understands just how serious the phone hacking scandal was. I don't know whether this gets him off the hook, but there's not much else he could have done (short of resigning himself).

Enhanced by Zemanta