Quote of the Week: The Real Weiner Scandal

NEW YORK, NY - JUNE 06:  Andrew Breitbart, who...

Bob Cesca on predictable corporate media frenzy unleashed by the Anthony Weiner scandal:

When Anthony Weiner, John Ensign and others unfurl their penises in public, they supercharge the Underpants-Media-Consumer Complex. The news media reports it because thousands of us watch it — tsk-tsking and tee-heeing. Why? Because the news media has been reporting it, so we watch it, and on and on and on. The circle of underpants. We blame the news media for being prurient and the news media blames us for forcing them to air it.

It's worth reading Cesca's article in full – it's an excellent overview of the dangerous outcomes a for profit media system creates and Bob has a few sensible suggestions as to how it could be changed.

Those news media outlets that ran the story as a headline piece should be ashamed of themselves. Yes, it was a scandal probably worth reporting on, but not on the front cover of a respected newspaper or at the top of a serious website. War, environmental catastrophe and large scale financial fraud should probably take precedent over Anthony Weiner's genetalia.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Reporter Ken Silverstein Confirms What Critics Have Said About 'The Intercept' From the Beginning

Reporter Ken Silverstein Confirms What Critics Have Said About 'The Intercept' From the Beginning

From the beginning, several of us here at The Daily Banter have questioned not only the editorial apRead more...
Somebody Should've Knocked Bill O'Reilly on His Ass Years Ago

Somebody Should've Knocked Bill O'Reilly on His Ass Years Ago

Quite a while back I was the producer on a show, the anchor of which was a powerhouse in the businesRead more...
MEMBERS ONLY: The Daily Banter NSFW Video Mail Bag: Racism and Geckos

MEMBERS ONLY: The Daily Banter NSFW Video Mail Bag: Racism and Geckos

On this week's edition of the NSFW Video Mail Bag, Ben, Chez and Bob discuss Brittney Cooper, the OsRead more...