Quote of the Day: Gay Marriage Legalized in New York

Andrew Sullivan reacts to the landmark gay rights bill in the state of New York that legalizes marriage between members of the same sex:

I have a confession. The night after it passed, I slept for twelve hours; the following night for fourteen. Last night, a mere ten. And I still feel tired this morning. I guess my unconscious has decided that this fight has passed a critical landmark and I can relax now.

The passage of this bill should not be underestimated - what has happened in New York will ripple across the country, and probably the world. It validates a basic principle that everyone is entitled to equality under the law, no matter your color, class or sexual persuasion.

Once that principle is unleashed, there is no going back. Gay marriage is here to stay, and the country had better get used to it.

Enhanced by Zemanta