Diet Provides Cure to Type 2 Diabetes

An astonishing trial in the UK has proved diet, and not drugs can completely reverse type 2 diabetes. From the Guardian:

People who have had obesity-related type 2 diabetes for years have been cured, at least temporarily, by keeping to an extreme, low-calorie, diet for two months, scientists report today.

The discovery, reported by scientists at Newcastle University, overturns previous assumptions about type 2 diabetes, which was thought to be a lifelong illness.....

Eleven people with diabetes took part in the study, which was funded by Diabetes UK. They had to slash their food intake to just 600 calories a day for two months. But three months later seven of the 11 were free of diabetes.

I'm not a nutritionist, but it does stand to reason that a disorder caused by excessive food consumption could be cured by doing the exact opposite. The more we find out about the human body, the more we understand that what we put into it effects how it operates. Study after study shows that good diet and nutrition dramatically enhances your health and quality of life, enabling your body to effectively fight disease and regulate itself without the need for pharmaceutical drugs. Obesity and type 2 diabetes are conditions that present perhaps the clearest examples of this link, and now thankfully we have clear proof that it can work in reverse.

Enhanced by Zemanta