One Less for the Freak Show

I'm not sure whether to be sad or glad about Donald Trump's decision not to run for President in 2012. From a concerned citizen's point of view, having a reality show star and real estate shark running for President isn't exactly what you want from the world's supposed greatest democracy. On the other hand, the sight of Trump debating the likes of Newt Gingrich, Sarah Palin or Ron Paul would be on par with the greatest spectator sports on earth. I'd almost rather watch Trump and Palin go toe to toe than Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather.

The line up for the Republican party is looking funnier and funnier as time goes on, and the lack of serious contenders will make for very entertaining television. Trump added some real flare to the pack of C-listers currently on offer, and in a way, it is sad to see him go.

However, the bottom line is that Trump was, and will always be a political joke, a self promoting WWE style freak show better suited for Las Vegas than Washington DC. While he was entertaining to watch, politics is serious business, and Trump just wasn't up to par.