Obama isn't the First President to Mention the 1967 Borders

Andrew Sullivan rectifies a myth being perpetuated by the Right wing media:

One begins to suspect that we have really have entered a postmodern era on the right. So Fox News "reports" that Obama's speech calling for a return to 1967 borders, with agreed-upon land swaps:

"stunned Washington and Jerusalem by endorsing Palestinians' demand for their own state based on the pre-1967 borders. The break withlongstanding U.S. policy appeared to immediately aggravate the Israelis,who want the borders of any future Palestinian state determined through negotiations."

Stunned? Here's secretary of state Clinton in 2009:

"We believe that through good-faith negotiations the parties can mutually agree on an outcome which ends the conflict and reconciles the Palestinian goal of an independent and viable state based on the 1967 lines, with agreed swaps, and the Israeli goal of a Jewish state with secure and recognized borders that reflect subsequent developments and meet Israeli security requirements."

We're going to see a lot of this - the Fox News crowd and the neo cons attempting to smear Obama by claiming his is radically anti Israel, and it is worth spending a good deal of time debunking it. Obama has been a stalwart ally to Israel, much to the demise of the peace process, and his slight shift in rhetoric (although still a big deal) should not be distorted. The Right is increasingly desperate after Obama took out Bin Laden and they will clutch at straws to turn him back into the ludicrous caricature they spent two years crafting. While I have problems with the way in which Bin Laden was executed, I don't disagree with Obama's clever use of political capitol. If he can use his new found popularity to force Israel to back down, I'm all for it.

Enhanced by Zemanta