Ed Shultz and Laura Ingraham Debacle Symbolic of Ridiculous Media

Image by Dan Patterson via Flickr

Laura Ingraham and Ed Schultz

MSNBC host Ed Shultz called Laura Ingraham a 'Right Wing slut' on his radio show and was rightfully suspended from MSNBC without pay for a week. His words were inexcusable and Schultz deserves every bit of the backlash he gets.

In a broader context, Schultz's remarks are indicitive of an insane personality driven news media that values feuding talking heads over serious reporting. It isn't Schultz's fault he has ended up feeding the beast - after all, everyone has to make a living - but he's part of a relentless drive by corporate America to disconnect the population from anything vaguely serious.

No one should care what Ed Schultz thinks about Laura Ingraham. In fact, no one should really care what Schultz has to say about anything. His prime time show is an opportunity to inform the public about interesting and serious matters around the world and around the country, and instead we are subjected to the opinions of a middle aged lefty in love with the sound of his own voice.

I happen to agree with Schultz on many issues and I think he's probably a pretty decent guy, but I don't feel the need to see the world through his eyes on daily basis. His feuds with right wing pundits are childish and boring, but as Ingraham wrote on her facebook page, "MSNBC suspends Schultz. Oh great, now his ratings will go up."

And that's the point.

Enhanced by Zemanta