Royal Wedding Media Frenzy

I won't make this long, but I wanted to comment on the upcoming Royal wedding between Prince William and Kate Middleton. The only thing I really have to say is that I have absolutely nothing to say about it.

In my view, the wedding - a very minorly important event in British history - has been hijacked by the media and turned into one giant ad revenue orgy. The press in the UK and in America have been ramping up programming for weeks and weeks, whipping the public up into a frenzy with with fairy tale imagery and weepy stories about 'true love'. Every teenage girl wants to marry a prince, and the media's job is to pretend that it is possible (while selling them the perfect lipstick to attract Royal types). The reality of William and Kate's relationship is no longer relevant. The media portrayal of it is however, and it has been warped into a meaningless PR event that has little other motive than generating millions of pounds in magazine sales, book deals, TV rights and movie scripts etc.

While I obviously wish William and Kate the best (as I would any other couple getting married), there are more important things to worry about than whether they will leap frog Charles and Camilla to sit on the throne (they won't) and what dress Kate will be wearing as she walks down the aisle (it will probably be a very expensive one).

I know everyone loves a good wedding, but with multiple wars, a looming debt crisis and rapidly escalating global warming, the marriage of two unbelievably privileged millionaires isn't really worth spending much time on.