Bloggers Sue Huffington Post

I can understand the frustration many bloggers felt after Arianna Huffington sold her site to AOL for hundreds of millions of dollars without sharing a penny with those who helped build her brand. But suing her? From the Guardian:

Arianna Huffington, her website and AOL were on the receiving end of a $105m (£64.5m) lawsuit by a group of angry bloggers unhappy that she sold the Huffington Post for $315m without them being paid a penny.

The class action is led by Jonathan Tasini, a writer and trade unionist, who wrote more than 250 posts for Huffington Post on an unpaid basis until he dropped out shortly after the news and comment site was sold to AOL earlier this year.

Tasini complained that "Huffington bloggers have essentially been turned into modern day slaves on Arianna Huffington's plantation" and said he was bringing the action because "people who create content ... have to be compensated" for their efforts.

I write for the Huffington Post and do so without compensation. I would of course prefer to get paid, but it has never been offered to me and no one is forcing me to write from them. It's my choice and I don't really have a right to complain. Tasini isn't completely wrong to cry foul - much of the Huffington Post's notoriety comes from its high profile bloggers, but from a legal point of view, he hasn't got a prayer.

It should be a fun fight though.