Atlas Flopped

http://maureenholland.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/atlas-shrugged-book-cover.jpg

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: 'The Lord of the Rings' and 'Atlas Shrugged'. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

John Rogers

I walked past a movie theater in Westwood, Los Angeles the other day playing 'Atlas Shrugged' (the cinematic version of Ayn Rand's homage to free market capitalism) and almost fell over laughing when I saw the people making up the very small line outside. The were all middle aged, slightly over weight, red faced angry looking white guys wearing golfing attire. I didn't want to stereotype, but it seriously looked like a Milwaukee convention for garden fertilizer enthusiasts.

Anyhow, the reviews have been unanimously awful and it won't be something I'll be spending any time/money on. But I would like to ask readers to take/find photos of any lines outside movie theaters and send them in for everyone's amusement.

More on the Banter:

Angry Old John McCain Throws Those "Low-Life Scum" Hippies Off His Lawn

Angry Old John McCain Throws Those "Low-Life Scum" Hippies Off His Lawn

If you missed Vietnam, you could see it reenacted on Capitol Hill Thursday afternoon.Read more...
MEMBERS ONLY: Confessions Of a Disillusioned Politics Junkie

MEMBERS ONLY: Confessions Of a Disillusioned Politics Junkie

Politics is fun to watch, but it's hard not to feel hopelessly detached.Read more...
Shock in the Blogosphere as Andrew Sullivan Shuts Down the Dish

Shock in the Blogosphere as Andrew Sullivan Shuts Down the Dish

The blogosphere was in a state of shock last night as pioneer blogger Andrew Sullivan, almost compleRead more...
MEMBERS ONLY: Sam Smith Sounds Like Tom Petty Because There's No Way To Do a Truly Original Song Anymore

MEMBERS ONLY: Sam Smith Sounds Like Tom Petty Because There's No Way To Do a Truly Original Song Anymore

I think there's actually another reason a song recorded in the year 2014 by a British guy who soundsRead more...
Best of Banter: Sarah Palin Got Crazier, 'Friends' Was Racist, and Ted Nugent Is Still An Asshole
  • http://shop.filthydripped.com Alayna Spurgeon

    Alayna Spurgeon

    Say, you got a nice blog post. Fantastic.

  • http://www.nyesanfrancisco.com san francsico nye

    san francsico nye

    Great blog post.Much thanks again. Fantastic.

  • http://profile.typepad.com/osborneink1 OsborneInk

    Oh, no, Ben. I will see this piece of shit for the both of us and shred it to little bitty bits. I want this craptacular on DVD so I can hang it around a bust of Ayn Rand like a millstone, symbolically dragging her down with the infamy of an incredibly insipid and mediocre film that will find its only success among culture warriors she would disown in a heartbeat.
    It must become a testament to the awfulness that is her juvenile novel. William F. Buckley admitted he had to flog himself to finish it; he once questioned her philosophy at a symposium and she broke into tears. The greatness of conservatism (and I used that clause loosely) died with him. Conservatism is all-culture-wars-all-the-time now and Alan Greenspan is a known fraud. Rand might be moved to tears: this is the twilight of Objectivism, not its ascension.