Atlas Flopped

http://maureenholland.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/atlas-shrugged-book-cover.jpg

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: 'The Lord of the Rings' and 'Atlas Shrugged'. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

John Rogers

I walked past a movie theater in Westwood, Los Angeles the other day playing 'Atlas Shrugged' (the cinematic version of Ayn Rand's homage to free market capitalism) and almost fell over laughing when I saw the people making up the very small line outside. The were all middle aged, slightly over weight, red faced angry looking white guys wearing golfing attire. I didn't want to stereotype, but it seriously looked like a Milwaukee convention for garden fertilizer enthusiasts.

Anyhow, the reviews have been unanimously awful and it won't be something I'll be spending any time/money on. But I would like to ask readers to take/find photos of any lines outside movie theaters and send them in for everyone's amusement.

An Open Challenge To The Media: Can You Stop Using These Irritating Clickbait Headlines?

An Open Challenge To The Media: Can You Stop Using These Irritating Clickbait Headlines?

If you get most of your news from your Facebook feed these days, you probably get the feeling that yRead more...
The AP's Bombshell Hillary Clinton Email Story Fails to Prove Existence of "Homebrew" Server

The AP's Bombshell Hillary Clinton Email Story Fails to Prove Existence of "Homebrew" Server

The big Wednesday story in the Hillary Clinton email news cycle centered around a bombshell AssociatRead more...
Crazy Person Responds To Jimmy Kimmel: Calling Someone "Anti-Vaxxer" Is Like Racism and Gay-Bashing

Crazy Person Responds To Jimmy Kimmel: Calling Someone "Anti-Vaxxer" Is Like Racism and Gay-Bashing

If you've ever been unlucky enough to get into a fruitless debate with someone who believes that vacRead more...
  • http://shop.filthydripped.com Alayna Spurgeon

    Alayna Spurgeon

    Say, you got a nice blog post. Fantastic.

  • http://www.nyesanfrancisco.com san francsico nye

    san francsico nye

    Great blog post.Much thanks again. Fantastic.

  • http://profile.typepad.com/osborneink1 OsborneInk

    Oh, no, Ben. I will see this piece of shit for the both of us and shred it to little bitty bits. I want this craptacular on DVD so I can hang it around a bust of Ayn Rand like a millstone, symbolically dragging her down with the infamy of an incredibly insipid and mediocre film that will find its only success among culture warriors she would disown in a heartbeat.
    It must become a testament to the awfulness that is her juvenile novel. William F. Buckley admitted he had to flog himself to finish it; he once questioned her philosophy at a symposium and she broke into tears. The greatness of conservatism (and I used that clause loosely) died with him. Conservatism is all-culture-wars-all-the-time now and Alan Greenspan is a known fraud. Rand might be moved to tears: this is the twilight of Objectivism, not its ascension.