Atlas Flopped

http://maureenholland.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/atlas-shrugged-book-cover.jpg

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: 'The Lord of the Rings' and 'Atlas Shrugged'. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

John Rogers

I walked past a movie theater in Westwood, Los Angeles the other day playing 'Atlas Shrugged' (the cinematic version of Ayn Rand's homage to free market capitalism) and almost fell over laughing when I saw the people making up the very small line outside. The were all middle aged, slightly over weight, red faced angry looking white guys wearing golfing attire. I didn't want to stereotype, but it seriously looked like a Milwaukee convention for garden fertilizer enthusiasts.

Anyhow, the reviews have been unanimously awful and it won't be something I'll be spending any time/money on. But I would like to ask readers to take/find photos of any lines outside movie theaters and send them in for everyone's amusement.

  • http://shop.filthydripped.com Alayna Spurgeon

    Alayna Spurgeon

    Say, you got a nice blog post. Fantastic.

  • http://www.nyesanfrancisco.com san francsico nye

    san francsico nye

    Great blog post.Much thanks again. Fantastic.

  • http://profile.typepad.com/osborneink1 OsborneInk

    Oh, no, Ben. I will see this piece of shit for the both of us and shred it to little bitty bits. I want this craptacular on DVD so I can hang it around a bust of Ayn Rand like a millstone, symbolically dragging her down with the infamy of an incredibly insipid and mediocre film that will find its only success among culture warriors she would disown in a heartbeat.
    It must become a testament to the awfulness that is her juvenile novel. William F. Buckley admitted he had to flog himself to finish it; he once questioned her philosophy at a symposium and she broke into tears. The greatness of conservatism (and I used that clause loosely) died with him. Conservatism is all-culture-wars-all-the-time now and Alan Greenspan is a known fraud. Rand might be moved to tears: this is the twilight of Objectivism, not its ascension.