Taking Sides in Civil War

From the Huffington Post:

President Barack Obama has signed a secret order authorizing covert U.S. government support for rebel forces seeking to oust Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, government officials told Reuters on Wednesday.

Obama signed the order, known as a presidential "finding", within the last two or three weeks, according to four U.S. government sources familiar with the matter.

Such findings are a principal form of presidential directive used to authorize secret operations by the Central Intelligence Agency. The CIA and the White House declined immediate comment.

Despite protests that we are fighting a smart and easy war in Libya, history tells us there is no such thing. Funding rebel groups in a foreign conflict is one of the quickest ways to 1. Lose lots of money, 2. Get drawn into a prolonged, bloody conflict with no end in sight.

Does anyone remember Vietnam? Afghanistan? Iraq? It is amazing that our collective memory is so short and our attention span so limited that we do not view the latest conflict in the Middle East in a historical context. While I obviously hope for a quick and easy route to an end to the conflict, my instinct is that we have launched ourselves into another potential quagmire - a notion supported by our history of extreme incompetence in the region.

Again, where is the money coming from to launch these strikes and arm rebel factions in Libya? While unemployment remains high and poverty increasing at home by the day, we apparently have enough money to fund civil wars in regions most people have never visited, read about or even heard of. Amazing.