The Obama Strategy

Andrew Sullivan credits Obama on DADT for his 'long game' - a slow, but ultimately effective strategy that sees him win again after again after again:

Like 2009's removal of the HIV ban, which was as painstakingly slow but thereby much more entrenched, this process took time. Without the Pentagon study, it wouldn't have passed. Without Obama keeping Lieberman inside the tent, it wouldn't have passed. Without the critical relationship between Bob Gates and Obama, it wouldn't have passed. It worked our last nerve; we faced at one point a true nightmare of nothing ... for years. And then we pulled behind this president, making it his victory and the country's victory, as well as ours.

I have my issues with the President, but credit must be given where credit is due. And with DADT, he won again.