Shocking Statistic: 40% of Americans Believe in Creationism

From Gallup.com:

Four in 10 Americans, slightly fewer today than in years past, believe God created humans in their present form about 10,000 years ago. Thirty-eight percent believe God guided a process by which humans developed over millions of years from less advanced life forms, while 16%, up slightly from years past, believe humans developed over millions of years, without God's involvement.

I'm all for freedom of religion, and I don't believe it is my place to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't believe. But the fact that 2 out of every 5 Americans believe the world was created 10,000 years ago and that Eve was created out of Adam's rib is shocking to say the least.

This points to a very, very severe lack of basic education in American schools, and should be the cause for much concern. How can America hope to compete in with the astonishing advances in science if almost half its citizens are unaware that they are the product of evolution like every other species on earth? After all, it's 2010, not 1810.