Why Jon Stewart is Awesome

Jon Stewart's 'Rally to Restore Sanity' over the weekend was a brave attempt to confront the corporate media's strangle hold on America's political culture. Stewart managed to gather over two hundred thousand people to Washington to protest the incessant fearmongering by cable pundits and journalists, and remind people that generally speaking, things aren't so bad. Stewart gave a powerful and serious speech at the end of the rally (laced of course with his razor sharp humor), proclaiming that despite the nation's differences, the country was not 'at breaking point' as the media has told us it is, and we have more in common than our political labels suggest. Money quote:

This was not a rally to ridicule people of faith, or people of activism, or look down our noses at the heartland, or passionate argument, or to suggest that times are not difficult and that we have nothing to fear--they are, and we do.

But we live now in hard times, not end times. And we can have animus, and not be enemies. But unfortunately, one of our main tools in delineating the two broke.

The country's 24-hour, political pundit perpetual panic conflictinator did not cause our problems, but its existence makes solving them that much harder. The press can hold its magnifying glass up to our problems, bringing them into focus, illuminating issues heretofore unseen. Or they can use that magnifying glass to light ants on fire, and then perhaps host a week of shows on the dangerous, unexpected flaming ants epidemic. If we amplify everything, we hear nothing.

There are terrorists, and racists, and Stalinists, and theocrats, but those are titles that must be earned! You must have the resume! Not being able to distinguish between real racists and Tea Party-ers, or real bigots and Juan Williams or Rick Sanchez is an insult--not only to those people, but to the racists themselves, who have put in the exhausting effort it takes to hate. Just as the inability to distinguish terrorists from Muslims makes us less safe, not more.

Check out the full speech below: