The Snark of Sarah Palin

In response to the media poking fun at her North Korea verbal gaffe, Palin (or whoever works for her) posted the following on her facebook page poking fun at President Obama's own slip ups:

My fellow Americans in all 57 states, the time has changed for come. With our country founded more than 20 centuries ago, we have much to celebrate – from the FBI’s 100 days to the reforms that bring greater inefficienciesto our health care system. We know that countries like Europe are willing to stand with us in ourfight to halt the rise of privacy, and Israel is a strong friend of Israel’s. And let’s face it, everybody knows that it makes no sense that you send a kid to the emergency room for a treatable illness like asthma and they end up taking up a hospital bed. It costs, when, if you, they just gave, you gave them treatment early, and they got some treatment, and ah, a breathalyzer, or an inhalator.I mean, not a breathalyzer, ah, I don’t know what theterm is in Austrian for that…

The post is particularly snarky, a hall mark of Sarah Palin's political style, and as Andrew Sullivan points out, the reason why she will never win the presidency:

A simple respect for the office she seeks would not reflect itself in these increasingly callow, sarcastic, cheap jibes at a sitting president. But sadly, like so many now purporting to represent conservatism, there is, behind the faux awe before the constitution, a contempt for the restraint and dignity a polity's institutions require from its leaders.

There is no maturity here; no self-reflection; no capacity even to think how to appeal to the half of Americans who are already so appalled by her trashy behavior and cheap publicity stunts. There is a meanness, a disrespect, a vicious partisanship that, if allowed to gain more power, would split this country more deeply and more rancorously than at any time in recent years. And that's saying something.

Cheap shots at the President aside, Sarah Palin believes that she shouldn't be held to a higher standard than anyone else in politics.

Except she should be.

When President Obama slips up, we know he doesn't actually think there are 57 states in America, or that the country was founded 20 centuries ago. Obama is by all accounts, an exceptionally intelligent man with a track record of extreme accomplishment (Harvard Law, Harvard Law Review President, the US Senate etc).

But when Palin confuses North and South Korea, you don't really know whether she understands the difference. Palin went to 5 different no-name universities in 6 years, ran a town the size of a post office and didn't understand what the Bush Doctrine was when running for Vice President of the United States.

So yes Sarah, the bar is going to be set a little higher for you.