Cameron and Sarkozy Redefine Anglo/French/American Relations with Defense Strategy

Last week, David Cameron and Nicolas Sarkozy signed a 50-year treaty on defence and security that sees the two nations having the joint use of aircraft carriers, a 10,000-strong joint expeditionary force and unprecedented levels of co-operation over nuclear missiles.

While I've been extremely critical of the Conservative governments cost cutting measure in Britain, I'm certainly not opposed to cuts in the country's ridiculous military budget, and the new alliance with the French is an effective way of reducing costs while building a closer relationship with our neighbors.

From an international relations perspective, Cameron's politics are far more reflective of traditional conservatism and a welcome break from the neo imperialist pro-America-at-all-costs Blairist ideology that has defined British politics over the past decade. Cameron understands the limits of American power and is seeking to build strategic alliances with partners around the globe. He has advocated closer economic relations with India and China and is seeking to to shift Britain's military commitments away from the Middle East.

The military alliance with France is another move that puts British interests above American interests and Cameron should be applauded for this. His actions bear the marks of a realist, and while his domestic economic policy will most likely prove disastrous, his foreign policy instincts should keep Britain in good shape heading into the next decade.