The Difference Between Sarah Palin and Christine O'Donnell

James Fallows on the new breed of Right wing media personality:

O'Donnell comes across as a perfect, unflappable product of the talk-show culture. Sarah Palin knows that she is bad under open questioning -- so she avoids it, speaks only to selected audiences, is interviewed only by Fox. If she were to run for president, which I've always doubted, this would make her brittle for the unavoidable main campaign. Christine O'Donnell shows that the other path can create a better, unshakably on-message product for this era.

I find it positively scary that Palin no longer represents the most dangerous element of mainstream Right wing politics and shudder to think about what lies ahead should O'Donnell become the new standard. I thought Palin was pretty clueless when it came to understanding herself, but O'Donnell literally has no idea that she is batshit crazy. In fact, she revels in it. Palin isn't very bright and seems to show some sort of inkling that she can't compete with other politician's intellect, whereas O'Donnell just goes right ahead with whatever she thinks regardless of how it might sound to rational people.

Who knows, maybe we'll see O'Donnell vs Obama in 2012. I'll have buckets of popcorn ready for that one.