Christine O'Donnell: Idiot of the Decade

I usually refrain from name calling on this blog because I would rather elevate discussion rather than join the cacophony of political mud throwing. However, GOP candidate Christine O'Donnell has backed me into a corner due to a statement so utterly ignorant and idiotic, I literally have no choice. Here's the quote (h/t Oliver):

Republican Senate nominee Christine O’Donnell of Delaware on Tuesday questioned whether the U.S. Constitution calls for a separation of church and state, appearing to disagree or not know that the First Amendment bars the government from establishing religion.

The exchange came in a debate before an audience of legal scholars and law students at Widener University Law School, as O’Donnell criticized Democratic nominee Chris Coons’ position that teaching creationism in public school would violate the First Amendment by promoting religious
doctrine.

Coons said private and parochial schools are free to teach creationism but that ‘religious doctrine doesn’t belong in our public schools.’

‘Where in the Constitution is the separation of church and state?’ O’Donnell asked him.

When Coons responded that the First Amendment bars Congress from making laws respecting the establishment of religion, O’Donnell asked: ‘You’re telling me that’s in the First Amendment?’”

Here's the text of the First Amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Perhaps it's me, but it seems fairly evident. But then again, I have actually read the constitution.

If you are unaware that the First Amendment specifically prohibits Congress from making laws that would establish religion, you really have no business running for political office.

Someone please make this woman go away.