Anderson Cooper Ruins Homophobic Arkansas School Board Member

In a horrible facebook rant in regards to the anti gay bullying demonstrations, school board member Clint McCance said the following about wearing purple to bring attention to the cause:

"it pisses me off, though, that we make special purple fag day for them. I like that fags can't procreate. I also enjoy that they often give each other AIDS and die...I would disown my kids they were gay. They will not be welcome at my home or in my vicinity. I will absolutely run them off."

The comments kicked off a huge outcry and McCance contacted Cooper to set the record straight. While clearly remorseful and ashamed of his horrificcomments, Cooper didn't let him off the hook and got McCance to announce his resignation live on air. Watch below:

While I don't necessarily believe that the suicides of five teenagers in response to homophobic bullying represents an 'epidemic' (a word the media like to throw around to drive ratings) anything that brings attention to the plight of young gay teenagers is a good thing. I remember the merciless bullying suspected gay teenagers received in my highschool in England during the mid 90's, and dread to think of what they must have gone through. A high profile campaign would have done immense good and perhaps made many of my friend's lives a little easier to deal with.

Morons like McCance should be driven as far away from education as humanly possible and never allowed to have contact with young people in a professional setting. While McCance has apologized, he was saying what many people still believe - that homosexuals are a deviant subspecies to be mocked and bullied. The more attention brought to hateful people like this, the better. They should be named and shamed and removed from positions of authority as quickly as possible.