Matt Taibbi: Time to Boycott Fox

Matt Taibbi usually avoids political activism, preferring to use his talents to lampoon the insane Right on the pages of Rolling Stone Magazine. But this summer's 'hate-fest' on Fox News and the surge of Tea Party candidates around the country has driven him to new lows. He describes the current Right Wing political agenda as follows:

What we’re watching is a calculated campaign to demonize blacks, Mexicans, and gays and convince a plurality of economically-depressed white voters that they are under imminent legal and perhaps even physical attack by a conspiracy of leftist nonwhites. They’re telling these people that their government is illegitimate and criminal and unironically urging secession and revolution....

I have to say, covering what these idiots say get pretty boring, but I do it out of a sense of duty to inform people about the dangers of taking them seriously. And like Taibbi, I think it is time to start doing something serious - and that means hitting Murdoch and co. where it hurts: their wallets. Writes Taibbi:

I'm beginning to wonder why effective boycotts against these hate-media channels, and particularly Fox, haven’t been organized yet. Why not just pick out one Fox advertiser at random and make an example out of it? How about Subaru and their unintentionally comic “Love” slogan? I actually like their cars, but what the fuck? How about Pep Boys and that annoying logo of theirs? Just to prove that it can be done, I’d like to see at least one firm get blown out of business as a consequence of financially supporting the network that is telling America that its black president wants to kill white babies. Isn't that at least the first move here? It's beginning to strike me that sitting by and doing nothing about this madness is not a terribly responsible way to behave.

Taibbi has a powerful voice in the liberal blogosphere, and this call to action might actually have an effect. As part of the progressive movement, The Daily Banter will be on call to do its bit.

Stay tuned.