Britain Already Being Hit by Cuts

The Independent lists 100 cuts the coalition government have made in their first 100 days of power. The top 10:

1. Rural bus services in Durham as part of a £1.3m public transport cut

2. Stay on in Liverpool scheme, Liverpool, £750,000

3. Refurbishment at Elmlea Infants School, Westbury-on-Trym, £4.5m

4. Play equipment, Huddersfield, £1.5m Schemes include revamps of children's centres in Paddock and the Dewsbury areas of Chickenley and Earlsheaton. A group of childminders in Golcar have collected more than 200 signatures for a petition demanding that the money be restored.

Bev Senior said: "I don't know what to say to the children. It's like telling them Father Christmas is coming and then saying that he's not."

5. Coastal path work, East Yorkshire, £330,000

6. Bishop of Winchester Academy, Bournemouth, £24.9m

7. Employment schemes and maintenance work at the Tyrls building, Bradford, £500,000

8. Inverclyde Council, Scotland, £34m

9. Breaking the Barriers Greenhouse Group, Leicestershire, £770,000 Helps people with disabilities to get back into work, including planting local flowerbeds.

Ann Foster, whose daughter has a job thanks to the group, said: "She wouldn't be able to get a normal job anywhere else because she has no short-term memory. She forgets what she has done an hour before. What's going to happen when I'm gone?"

10. Tower Works redevelopment, Holbeck Urban Village, Leeds, £2.5m

The public won't feel the effects of all the cuts for a good few months, but when they do, the results will be interesting to see. My thoughts are that the 25% cuts across the board will devastate Britain as we know it and I find it hard to see this government surviving another election. The Tories are using the financial crisis to ram through measures even Margaret Thatcher would have thought extreme, and they are enforcing an even more militant ideology of social spending cuts, privatization and deregulation that caused the recession in the first place. It is a classic example of Naomi Klein's thesis in the 'Shock Doctrine' where austerity measures are ruthlessly applied to an unsuspecting public after a crisis (real or perceived) and corporations increase their power exponentially under the pretense that private companies increase efficiency and better allocate resources than government.

Free market shock therapy hasn't worked anywhere it has been tried, and it won't work in Britain. Unfortunately, we're just about to witness it happen again.