Sarah Palin: Champion of Government Regulation

Yes, you heard right. Sarah Palin has launched a scathing attack on President Obama via facebook accusing him of not doing enough to sort out the giant oil spill in Louisiana or regulate the oil industry. She writes:

Just 10 days prior to the explosion, the Obama administration’s
regulators gave
the oil rig a pass
, and last year the Obama administration granted
BP
a National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) exemption for its
drilling operation.

These decisions and the resulting spill have shaken the public’s
confidence in the ability to safely drill. Unless government
appropriately regulates oil developments and holds oil executives
accountable, the public will not trust them to drill, baby, drill.

Given the article is well written and makes a lot of sense, we can deduce a couple of things: 1. It is clearly not written by Palin and was designed for political point scoring. 2. Palin is in fact in favor of
government regulation of private industry.

Which would make sense if Palin hadn't opposed every type of government regulation possible and had vociferously argued that less government is the answer to all of our problems, not more. We can apparently deduce from this that Palin is in fact in favor of
government regulation of private industry.

Bob Cesca points out:

I don't believe Sarah Palin is really in favor of any of this. Sarah
Palin only really supports the opposite of whatever she
perceives to be the position of the president. This is the basis for the
entire modern post-Bush Republican-slash-tea party movement. Do the
opposite. Push for the opposite. There's no concern for consistency or
hypocrisy. The platform is very simply: we believe the opposite of
anything the president, the Democrats and the progressives say,
regardless of whether it's contradictory, crazy or stupid.

I do think there is a positive side to this - and potentially a game changing one. All Obama has to do now is come out in favor of everything the Republicans want, and then they'll have to oppose it. At the last minute Obama can then turn round and say 'You know what? The Republicans are right!' then pass as much progressive legislation as he likes.