Nuking the Oil Spill?

This is a very, very bad idea. From the NY Times:

Decades ago, the Soviet Union reportedly used nuclear blasts to
successfully seal off runaway gas wells, inserting a bomb deep
underground and letting its fiery heat melt the surrounding rock to shut
off the flow. Why not try it here?

The idea has gained fans with each failed attempt to stem the leak and
each new setback — on Wednesday, the latest rescue effort stalled when a
wire saw being used to slice through the riser pipe got stuck.

The problems are so numerous the idea shouldn't even be joked about:

Government and private nuclear experts agreed that using a nuclear bomb
would be not only risky technically, with unknown and possibly
disastrous consequences from radiation, but also unwise geopolitically —
it would violate arms treaties that the United States has signed and
championed over the decades and do so at a time when President
Obama
is pushing for global nuclear disarmament.

However, I'm predicting Republicans jump on board with the idea as long as it pisses off the international community. Then they could kill two birds with one stone: Help destroy the environment even more, and irritate French people.

On a side note, posting will be slow around here today - I'm in NYC on business. Back to full speed soon!