Does the Internet Ruin Your Brain?

Andrew Sullivan counters a new book by Nicholas Carr that claims the internet is making us stupid:

I'm a writer by profession and it's totally clear to me that since I
started blogging, the amount I write has increased exponentially, my
daily interactions with the views of others have never been so frequent,
the diversity of voices I engage with is far higher than in the
pre-Internet age - and all this has helped me become more modest as a
thinker, more open to error, less fixated on what I do know, and more
respectful of what I don't. If this is a deterioration in my brain, then
more, please.

I must confess to becoming far more easily distracted as the amount of information I am able to consume increases, but then the diversity of opinion and sources available has most certainly broadened my horizons, and I know an awful lot more about subjects I had never thought about with the proliferation of forums and online discussion boards (I have been learning how to cook, and the internet has on many occasions saved me from some very basic errors). The trick to mastering the ever expanding tubes is to know where to look. Sifting through vast quantities of information requires investigative and organization skills, and those better able to pull gems out of the rubble will get the most use out of the web's knowledge eco system.