Glenn Beck Meets Himself

In what has to be regarded as one of the most surreal events in TV history, Glenn Beck spent an hour talking to a man possibly more deranged and unhinged than himself. The shamed Democratic congressman Eric Massa, who is undergoing an ethics inquiry into allegations that he had groped and sexually harassed some of his male employees, was invited onto Beck's show lat night ostensibly to spill the beans on the machinations of the Democratic Party that clearly wants rid of him.

Instead, a highly paranoid, clearly close-to-the-edge Massa refused to answer direct questions and instead gave a rambling, confused diatribe about 'dark forces' that were out to get him. Massa, clearly confused about his sexuality, also refused to admit the groping and tickling of male colleagues had any sexual undertones.

"Not only did I grope him, I tickled him until he couldn't breathe," said Massa of one of the charges against him. "I should have never allowed myself to be as familiar with my
staff as I was... I own this misbehavior."

Definitely not sexual.....

To his credit, Beck did push Massa for specifics, but soon realized that he wasn't going to get what he wanted out of the congressman. Instead, Beck endured what sane people endure when watching clips of himself drawing communist conspiracies on chalk boards - a slow motion train wreck with no foreseeable end.

Out of ideas towards the end of the show, an exasperated Beck finally admitted to his viewers that 'I think this is the first time I have wasted an hour of your time."

I disagree heartily with Beck's assessment. It was a fantastic bit of theater and enormously enjoyable to see Beck get a taste of his own medicine. It was so good I think Beck's producers should consider making Massa a feature of the show.

\More clips of the epic showdown here.