Gambling Against America

Matt Taibbi ponders the every day dichotomies of American life:

It’s weird enough living in a country where a man can legally own an
arsenal of machine guns, but his neighbor growing a pot plant will send
a team of DEA agents kicking his door in with a no-knock warrant. But
this goes even beyond that. If I go online today to
HaveNoLifeAndBetOnSports.com and bet fifty dollars on the Bucks against
the Celtics tonight, I’m a criminal. But some gazillionaire firm in New
York can legally bet against the United States of America in unlimited
amounts in a trade that has nothing to do with anything, but a guess
about how many other people will make the same bet.