Environmental Philosopher Says Humans Too Stupid to Stop Climate Change

Highly esteemed environmental philosopher James Lovelock thinks our chances of rescuing ourselves from ecological catastrophe is small. Via the Guardian:

"I don't think we're yet evolved to the point where we're clever enough to handle a complex a situation as climate change," said Lovelock in his first in-depth interview since the theft of the UEA emails last November. "The inertia of humans is so huge that you can't really do anything meaningful."
One of the main obstructions to meaningful action is "modern democracy", he added. "Even the best democracies agree that when a major war approaches, democracy must be put on hold for the time being. I have a feeling that climate change may be an issue as severe as a war. It may be necessary to put democracy on hold for a while."

Lovelock is notorious for being pessimistic but it's hard to argue with some of his points. The lack of action in the face of one of the most serious crises to ever face humanity is astonishing. We'd rather chuck money at non existent terrorist threats and vastly overpaid banking executives than create a happier, cleaner environment for ourselves.