Nidal Hasan Urged Military to Excuse Muslim Soldiers

The Washington Post gives a fascinating insight into the mind of Fort Hood killer Nidal Hasan who delivered a speech to Army medical staff on the need for Muslims to be able to leave the military as 'conscientious objectors':

In late June 2007, he stood before his supervisors and about 25
other mental health staff members and lectured on Islam, suicide
bombers and threats the military could encounter from Muslims
conflicted about fighting in the Muslim countries of Iraq and
Afghanistan, according to a copy of the presentation obtained by The
Washington Post.

"It's getting harder and harder for Muslims in the service to
morally justify being in a military that seems constantly engaged
against fellow Muslims," he said in the presentation.

Andrew Sullivan writes:

It seems to me from this evidence that his looming deployment, and the
impossibility of a conscientious discharge, were contributing factors
to his mass murder. The lecture almost reads like a cry for help,
rather than a warning.

I'm refraining from making any type of judgment on this issue, as we still don't know all the facts, and we still have not heard from Hasan himself (who is reportedly alive and talking). It's possible that Islam motivated him to kill his fellow officers, and it's possible the man was mentally unstable and simply flipped. It could also be a mixture of the two.

As more is dug up about Hasan, the clearer the picture will become.