Meghan McCain: "Joe's No Traitor"

I have respect for Meghan McCain because she has the guts to confront her own party and tell them some uncomfortable truths. But her recent article defending Joe Lieberman's acquiescence to the insurance industry is completely off the mark and down right stupid. McCain excuses Lieberman's blatant sell out by making the argument that he is in fact 'daring to cross party lines' and putting forward a 'moderate voice' to the debate:

Let’s face it, it’s easy to preach to the converted and many people
have mastered the art of the negative sound bite. If I want to hear the
liberal bias, I will turn on MSNBC. If I want to hear conservative
dogma, I will turn on Fox. But where do people go to listen to the Joe
Liebermans of the world? Where can we hear voices that dare to cross
party lines, think outside the box, and say what they truly believe?

I'm going to write a longer article on this, but there is no equivalence between the extreme Left and extreme Right in America. The extreme Left (Dennis Kucinich, Alan Grayson, Bernie Sanders etc) would be considered only moderately Left wing in every other industrialized country on earth. The extreme Right (Sarah Palin, Dick Cheney, George Bush etc) would be considered either insane, or fascist. Meghan McCain might consider Joe Lieberman to be a centrist, but elsewhere, no liberal party would accept him as one of them. Lieberman is an extreme conservative who once found a home amongst Democrats because the party sold its soul to corporate America. Joe Lieberman has accepted $2,395,369 in donations from the health sector and $1,033,402 from the insurance industry throughout his career, so why anyone would think his motives where purely political is insane. But in America, selling out to corporate interests doesn't count when it comes to party politics. It is a given that you must represent the interests of big business rather than the people who voted for you, and the Democrats are almost as guilty as the Republicans. In that respect, McCain is correct - Lieberman is a moderate if you look at people like her father who has raised many times more than Lieberman could ever dream of.

But back here on planet rational, Lieberman is a sellout and a corporate hack. And he's definitely no moderate.