Interrogating Palin Fans

A couple of days ago, Nora O'Donnel interviewed a 17 year old Palin fan about the former V.P candidate's support of the financial bailout. The girl, known only as Jackie, had an ironic T-Shirt about the financial bailout saying:

"The U.S Government handed out $700 billion on Wall St bailouts, and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt"

O'Donnel correctly pointed out to the precocious teen that Palin had in fact supported the bailout citing a rally with McCain where Palin explicitly expressed her wish for the bill to be passed quickly.

Jackie didn't have much to say, and tried desperately to deny the annoying fact that rendered her T-shirt completely pointless. However, she wrote a column for 'RedWhiteAndConservative.com', titled 'The Day I Met Sarah Palin…and the Liberal Media', stating the following:

She had me read my shirt and then proceeded to ask me “Did you know
Sarah Palin supported the bailout” to be 100% honest I was like, are
you kidding me? She is trying to use my shirt against me. I was so
shocked by the craftiness she had that I was truly stumped. I asked her
where she got her fact and she read her little note.

Jackie and the rest of the Right are trying to frame it as a hit job and cite it as the continuing evidence of a 'liberal media bias'.

I don't want to attack Jackie too much on this one - she's 17 and should not be the target of liberal anger. We can save that for Sarah Palin. However, if you are going to wear erroneous T-shirts to Sarah Palin events, it seems entirely fair that someone point out that they are incorrect. O'Donnel didn't do a hit job on Jackie, she just presented her with some facts. Yes, they were embarrassing for her, but it doesn't make it wrong.

When I was 17, I had lots of opinions and would shout them loudly at anyone who would listen. My parents, particularly my mother (a historian) would calmly disprove me when I was wrong (and it happened quite often), and I am forever grateful for it. Instead of complaining about how horrible the big bad liberal media is, Jackie should be thankful for the lesson in grown up debate she received. Yes, she came off like an idiot, but that's what being a teenager is all about.